30 March 2015

Home Lab - update one

As mentioned previously, I've decided to build a home computer lab for experimenting with new & interesting technologies. Parts have started to arrive, namely the chassis, memory, and storage media. The UPS is scheduled for delivery on Wednesday, along with a 240GB SSD for my gaming rig. The remaining parts (motherboards and network gear) should arrive Thursday.

I ordered the new SSD over the weekend. I'm down to only 35GB of free space on my existing SSD, and I want to dual-boot Windows and Fedora. So I'll copy my Windows installation to the new drive and throw Fedora on the old 180GB one. My previous plan was to use my laptop (already running Fedora) to configure & manage the lab. After this, I'll be able to use the desktop - complete with 27" monitor - for that role.

I'm also returning the two 4TB Western Digital SE drives in in favor of four 4TB WD Reds. Why? Mostly because the latter were something like $55 cheaper each after a Newegg promo discount, making them an affordable way to double my capacity. But also because I don't really need 7200RPM drives with 1.2 million MTBF for a lab. You'd better believe those will by my choice for work, though!

That's it for now, and probably until next week. Between Easter and Opening Day, I won't have much time to actually play with my new toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment